Resurrection of Christ. 1st half of the 20th
century. Painted images underneath a brocade oklad. Gold frame inside of
a walnut shadowbox. Image under glass. Riza (icon cover) made from
silver and gold brocade threads. 11" x 13 1/4". 1 only. Very good
Closer view | Closer view
Closer view | Back view
Icon of St. Seraphim of Sarov. Early 1900s. 8 3/4" x
7 1/8". Beautiful sterling silver riza, hand painted with egg tempera on
a wood panel in good condition. The painted icon does exhibit the entire
silhouette of St. Seraphim's image when removing the riza from the
panel. In 1903, Seraphim of Sarov was glorified (canonized as a saint)
by the Russian Orthodox Church. Saint Seraphim of Sarov (b. 1759 - d.
1833) is one of the most venerated and renowned Russian monks and
mystics in the Eastern Orthodox Church. He taught that the purpose of
the Christian life was to acquire the Holy Spirit.
This icon was written a year after St. Seraphim was canonized. The metal
riza (oklad) has been cleaned and is in splendid condition. The silver
mark "84" is stamped both on the riza and the halo (which is a separate
piece), and it is much more distinguishable on the halo. Both places
include the stamp of the silversmith. The riza follows the type of
detailing that would be created in its day for an icon of the Mother of
God, exhibiting great mastery and decorative sophistication. The icon
most likely originated in St. Petersburg, Russia and represents a
special commission in honor of St. Seraphim's canonization. To add to
its uniqueness and provenance, there is an engraved brass plaque on the
back of the icon which reads as follows: "[To the Holy] Father of the
Company Commander from the lower ranks of 8 companies of the Sveaborg
Fortress Infantry Regiment." The plaque is dated: December 31, 1904.
Historically at the time of this icon, Finland was part of the Russian
Empire. Today Sveaborg is known as Suomenlinna, (until 1918 it was
Sveaborg, its Swedish name), and is an inhabited sea fortress built on
six islands. Nowadays it is part of Helsinki, the capital of
Finland. 8 3/4" x 7 1/8".
Late 19th cent., Russian icon of the Theotokos of
Tikhvine. 6 1/4" x 5 1/8" icon. Kiot (kivot) is 11 3/4" at the top peak by 8
3/4". The icon is hand painted with egg tempera on a wood panel.The riza
is firmly fixed and has not been removed for examination, the painting
is probably typical of the time period (schematic). The riza is
beautifully hand repoussed with plated with silver over copper. The icon
remains in the original kiot that it was intended for and is found to be
in good condition. A mildly tarnished three-dimensional image of the Holy Spirit is attached at the top. Back is covered with purple velvet. This older icon illustrates that which was used for
veneration and can be found in the collections of many families and
Late 19th century icon depicting six saints
supplicating Christ held in his mother's arms. Two angels help to offer the prayers of
St. Dmitri Rostovskii,
St. Alexei the Man of God, St. George the Trophy Bearer, Great Martyr
St. Barbara, Great Martyr St. Anastasia and St. Maria Magdalena.
Handwritten on the back, using Cyrillic numerals, is "1923 Saturday P Novembria Wednesday 1948."
It indicates a 25th jubilee of the November date of the 3rd, 10th, 17th, or 24th (which one exactly, is unknown).
In good condition, other than a few small chips and what appear to be candle burns on the bottom right.
8 1/2" x 10".
||"Wedding Icons". Post-WWII German color prints of Christ Pantocrator (The Teacher) and Mother of God. Made in a Russian emigre workshop in Argentina in the 1970s. Hand made and chased brass plated tin oklads (covers). Each icon is 5 3/4" x 6 3/4". 1 pair only. Very good condition. [#VS-1W] Sorry, sold.|
"St. Sergius of Radonezh Icon Pendant, 1892". Sergius (1314-1392) was glorified by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1452. This medal/icon was issued in 1892
for the 500 year anniversary of the death of St. Sergius.
Inscription in Russian: "In Memory of the Passing of St. Sergius of Radonezh, Miracleworker."
St. Sergius is one of the Russia' most venerated saints.
Polished brass casting with sharp detail.
Reverse features a skyline view of the Trinity-St. Sergius Lavra monastery and the dates 1392-1892.1 1/4" diameter.
In very good condition, a few light scratches on the reverse.
Originally the Kazan Mother of God icon was found in a garden in 1579 in the city
of Kazan. The first of these special icons was carried by Prince Pozharsky into
battle against the Poles. A special church was built in Kazan for her in 1679,
but due to its miraculous nature, the icon was in Moscow, so a copy was installed. In 1821 the
first icon traveled to St. Petersburg where it was installed in the, at the time, newly constructed
Kazan Cathedral on Nevskii (Nevsky)Prospect. In 1918 the icon was seized by the
Soviet Government, and enroute to Moscow, it vanished. This is a delicately painted newer icon
on freshwater mother of pearl, surrounded by genuine pearls, in a fine
filigree frame. Hardware is attached to the back enabling it to be worn
as a pin or displayed standing (easel back). 2" x 3".
The Mother of God "Joy of All Who Sorrow" icon revealed
itself as a miracle-working icon for the first time in Moscow in
1688. Icon with high-relief embossed brass oklad. All original. In very
good condition. End of the 19 century. Full painting underneath metal
oklad. Some labels/tape on the back. 6 3/4" x 8 1/2".
Unusual mid-19th century silver and painted icon of
Christ with two angels blessing the Holy Saints Nicholas and Averky and
the Holy Martyrs Barbara and Pyatnitza. All original. In very good
condition (some minor scuffs to painting where metal bumps painting). Full painting underneath removeable metal oklad. Silver marks on side.
4 3/4" x 5 3/4".
Exceptional detail on this unusual roundel brass
casting of St. George slaying the dragon. Top is small icon of Christ
Not-Made-By-Hands. Can be worn or carried. Pierced design with Slavonic
inscriptions. Excellent condition. 2" x 3".
The Russian Shop / Maison Russe Importers