Tiraspol Matryoshka Nesting Doll
Vintage Dolls
The Russian Shop / Maison Russe
800-778-9404

     Tiraspol is a large city in Moldova located on the eastern bank of the Dniester River. The modern city of Tiraspol was founded by the Russian general Alexander Suvorov in 1792, uniting various ethnic groups. After the Russian Revolution, the Moldavian Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic was created in 1924 with Romanian, Ukrainian and Russian as the official languages. Its capital was Tiraspol, which remained the capital of the Moldavian ASSR until 1940. Then part of the Ukrainian SSR, it became part of the newly-formed Moldavian SSR. In 1941, following the Axis invasion of the Soviet Union, the city occupied by Romanian troops. In 1944, the city was retaken by the Red Army and became again part of Moldavian SSR.

This 5-nested set of Tiraspol Maidens was made in Moldavian SSR in the late 1970s. There was once a paper label on the bottom of the first doll, but now it's gone. 4¾" down to 1⅜".

[#ND-T3]
Sorry, sold

Back to Nesting Dolls     "Art Dolls"
Matryoshka Gallery Index Page     Russian Folk Art

More Ways to Order | Home Page of The Russian Shop


Click on images to enlarge them.